The present Tedworth House, one of the most spectacular country houses in east Wiltshire, dates largely from 1828-30, and was in private ownership until the military arrival to Salisbury plain in the late 19th century.
In 2011 the renovation and conversion started of Tedworth House into one of four Recovery Centres run by Help for Heroes which form part of the Defence Recovery Capability. Tedworth House aims to inspire the wounded, injured and sick and returning veterans to lead active, independent and fulfilling lives, which will enable them to reach their full potential and to support them and their families for life. It is a place of opportunities providing education, training, sport and adventure in a relaxed, understanding and caring environment where state of the art facilities and dedicated staff aid the road to recovery. Part of this program of works was to recreate the long-demolished Palmery, to be used as an atmospheric extension to Café Hero where residents and staff can sit and enjoy a freshly brewed coffee. Using old photographs the Architects designed the new building which WCS translated into stone details.
Nearly 800 cubic feet of Portland Perryfield was used. The construction was traditional cavity wall.