St Thomas’ Church was built between 1854 – 1855, designed by S. W. Dawkes of Cheltenham. The predominant building stone is the creamy limestone from Caen, Normandy, France. This stone had truly felt both the ravages of time and a near-coastal climate and the stonework was in a perilous condition.
The stonework was initially cleaned using Doff and then Jos/torc. Stone was repaired or replaced. The stone types used were Hartham Park Bathstone, Caen, Chicksgrove and Bembridge.
The north-western pinnacle had been previously dismantled and stored in the crypt. This was repaired and reinstated.